The California Poppy is also known by other names like Bell, Thimble of gold, and its flowers are orange or yellow, very pretty. Its scientific name is Eschscholtzia califórnica Cham, which belongs to the family of Papaveráceas, ( Papaveraceae).
It is a medicinal plant, legendary, that comes from California, although at present it is extended in many countries. In Spain we can see it in many areas throughout the peninsula, are also present in the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands. In fact, we can see it in the wild or also decorating parks and gardens.
The parts of the California Poppy that are used in medicine are the aerial parts of the plant, which are collected when it is flowering time.
We find a series of active principles present in the composition of this wonderful and beautiful plant. Of particular note are flavone glycosides, alkaloids, and flavonoids.
Benefits of California Poppy
In addition, this plant contains several medicinal properties and the most notable among them is the sedative and hypnotic properties, it is also antispasmodic and anxiolytic.
The California Poppy is, therefore, a totally natural sedative that produces no dependence and no side effects. Combines very well mixed with other medicinal plants that help us relax and sleep better in the case of suffering from transient insomnia, mixing it with passionflower, St. John’s wort, or valerian.
For its relaxing action is ideal also to calm us the anxiety, nervousness, irritability and insomnia caused by stress. Also because of its sedative and soothing effect, it is used to calm the itching that causes hives.
Other medicinal properties present in the California poppy are, analgesic, spasmolytic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal.
If you want to start using California Poppy, and we do not have any contraindication in this respect, we can get it in herbalists, part pharmacies, natural products stores and also in pharmacies.
On the other hand, we can find California poppy in different formats, ideal depending on the use that we are going to give. Thus, we can acquire it in the form of a dry plant to make infusions, or in capsules and drops. There are even sachets combined with other plants.
2 home remedies with California Poppy
The home remedies that are prepared with this medicinal plant are to be used both internally infused and externally.
California Poppy Infusion to Fall asleep
One of the most effective medicinal properties this plant is to help us to fall asleep and relax. To prepare this infusion we will follow these instructions:
- 4 grams of the dry plant.
- One cup of mineral water or 200 ml. Of mineral water.
- A teaspoon of honey, stevia, or brown sugar.
- Put the water in a heater and when it starts to boil we add the dry plant.
- We put out the fire, we cover the infusion.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- We paste the infusion, sweeten it to taste.
Once it is warm we can take it. From this infusion, we can have a cup for a while before going to sleep. If we wanted to take it during the day, we can take 2 or 3 cups a day.
California Poppy Infusion for External Use
This infusion of California poppy will prepare to calm the itch that produces urticaria.
- One cup of water or 200 ml. of water.
- 50 grams of California Poppy.
- Put the water in a saucepan to heat.
- Once it begins to boil add the California Poppy.
- Cover the infusion and let stand for 10 minutes. We squeeze the infusion and when it is warm, we moisten a cotton and we pass it gently by the area of the affected skin.
We can apply this remedy 2 or 3 times a day until the itching and discomfort go forward.
Contraindications of the California Poppy
Taken at the doses advised by either the therapist, pharmacist or doctor this plant does not present adverse effects, nor is it toxic, if you notice any adverse effects we should consult with the pharmacist or the doctor.
The California Poppy is contraindicated in these cases:
- In the case of pregnancy.
- During the lactation period.
- In the case of suffering from glaucoma.
- If we suffer from low blood pressure.
- Heart diseases.
- In children and adolescents under 18 years.
- In the case of having to use machinery.
- In the case of having to drive vehicles.
In the last two cases mentioned above, it is advisable to take the California Poppy only at night.
California Poppy may interact with the following medications:
- First-generation antihistamines.
Therefore, if you are consuming drugs or medications containing these active substances it is not recommended to consume California poppy.