The flu is an infectious disease common throughout the world that occurs primarily in cold climates or during the winter season and therefore has been linked to deficiencies of certain vitamins such as C and D promoting the general weakening of the immune system.
The general symptoms of the flu are a cough, nasal congestion, headache, fever, chills, and cramps. It usually does not need treatment and it sends spontaneously in a few days or a week at most, although attention should be paid to a possible exacerbation of some of the symptoms, such as a fever, especially in children, the elderly or people with the disease. Depressed immune system because they are the most sensitive groups.
Cases of complications in the flu that are not adequately treated or controlled can cause respiratory infections of the more serious internal organs like pneumonia.
The hypertensive or cardiovascular problems should pay attention to flu – like symptoms, because as any infectious disease raises the rate of inflammation in the body and can aggravate complications of their condition.
In this article, you will find 5 excellent remedies for the flu.
Causes and Treatment of Influenza
Exposure to contaminated environments, as the influenza virus, can spread by air, although its infection is more frequent when it comes into direct contact with contaminated materials, however, entering a room where people have been sick and has not been ventilated May be sufficient to contract the disease.
Direct contact with contaminated materials or the mucous membranes and saliva of a sick person is the most direct cause and form of infection. This can occur with a small splash of saliva while talking or sharing items that have not been properly cleaned or disinfected inside the home such as cutlery.
The lack of vitamins D and C are not a direct cause of influenza infections but their deficiency has been linked to a greater probability of contracting it because both vitamins are essential for the correct performance of the defenses and their deficit predisposes the body towards the illness.
Vitamin D is obtained with the sun and therefore in the months of cold seasons increases the propensity towards certain illnesses of infectious origin like the flu.
Vitamin C is found primarily in citrus fruits and supplementation has been shown to have good results in preventing and curing in flu and catarrhal states by attenuating adverse symptoms and accelerating the healing process.
Influenza usually does not require medical treatment, but when the symptomatology is presented, non-steroidal and anti-influenza anti-inflammatory drugs can be used to reduce the associated discomfort.
Home Remedies for the Flu
There are several home remedies to treat the flu that can help fight it and mitigate its symptoms. What is good for the flu? Here we cinch 5 of the best homemade recipes to treat it.
1. Orange juice
Orange juice in addition to having vitamins and minerals is also ideal to combat the common cold or flu because its properties are very good for this type of ailments. Just preparing a juice daily during breakfast can keep you with high defenses and reduce the risk of suffering from it or a cold. It is a good remedy for the flu.
2. Lemon Tea
Taking this type of infusion or tea for the flu is good when you suffer from it because it helps to sweat and eliminate toxins, while it is a relaxing for our throat. Grate the peel of a lemon, add water and heat for a period of 5 minutes, then go steady.
3. Eucalyptus infusion
Eucalyptus has antiseptic, balsamic and helps with bronchial problems. Therefore it is an excellent infusion to take when you suffer from a cough, cold or flu.
4. Honey and Lemon
It is one of the most popular remedies for this ailment. Fill a saucepan with the juice of two glasses of lemon, and seven tablespoons of honey and let it simmer for about an hour and a half. And ready, with it already has a wonderful syrup. Take two tablespoons every hour on the first day and from the second day take the tablespoons every three hours.
5. Chicken Soup
Take a bowl of hot soup a day while you have the flu. This home remedy for the flu will help relieve the symptoms of a cough and throat of it, thanks to its beneficial effects that brings with much iron and zinc among others. It also provides antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties for the throat.
Recommendations and advice for the treatment of influenza
1. Avoid contact with sick people and do not share utensils with a high risk of contagions such as cutlery, scarves, pillows and, in short, all objects that have a direct contact with the nose or mouth.
2. Keeping your hands clean is one of the best ways to prevent infection and spread it to other family members when you need to be in touch with sick people, for example, caring for children with the flu.
3. Avoiding sudden temperature changes is another universal measure especially in winter when it is more vulnerable to infections.
4. Avoid touching mucous membranes or other sensitive areas of the body to microbes such as eyes, as these areas offer better conditions for virus survival and its survival within the body.
5. Always cover the lower part of the face at the time of sneezing or coughing to prevent splatter from spreading the virus and allowing other members of the family or work environment to become infected.
6. Use vitamin D supplements in places with few hours of sunlight or when there is no possibility of sunbathing directly.
7. Vitamin C supplements can also help speed up the healing process, in fact, many anti-influenza preparations already include it in their composition.
8. Drinking plenty of fluids will help the body to restore fatigue especially when there is a fever, these can be consumed by fruit juices that provide vitamins, constituent vegetable broths or simply water.
9. Do not take antibiotics. These do not help accelerate healing or improve symptoms since they are not effective for diseases caused by viruses.
10. Save rest. If you have difficulty breathing, mental confusion or have 4 days with a fever higher than 38ºC, see your doctor or medical center.