How to Cleanse the Liver Naturally We all know that alcohol is unhealthy and, in fact, is harmful to health if taken in large quantities. But, it is also true that there is always a party or occasion where we spend a little more than we should. The next day, the famous hangover appears, which is nothing more than a succession of changes that occur in our body due to the high consumption of alcohol. But this is not the only bad thing, alcohol can seriously damage our liver producing serious diseases like cirrhosis. Even if it’s normal to have a drink at parties or special occasions, you should also know when to stop. However, there are natural ways to detoxify the liver of alcohol so that your body returns to its healthy state.
How alcohol affects the liver
Although not considered as such, alcohol is a type of psychotropic drug, that is, a chemical agent that acts on the central nervous system. Therefore, it may result in changes in mood, perception or behavior.
Alcohol has a biphasic action, while at the beginning it can produce relaxation and joy; over time, if it continues to be taken, it will produce negative effects such as lack of coordination or blurred vision.
At 30 or 90 minutes of its consumption, the alcohol reaches the blood and then the sugars fall. In the liver, there is a substance called glycogen, which is responsible for storing the sugar and release it into the blood so that the body has enough energy. However, when alcohol reaches the blood and sugars go down, it accelerates the conversion of glycogen into glucose and causes it to be eliminated faster. Glucose brings energy to the body and without this enough energy, the body feels weak and tired.
In addition, alcohol inhibits a hormone called vasopressin, which is responsible for keeping body fluids in balance. It is also responsible for ordering the kidney to reabsorbs water from the urine. If this hormone is inhibited, it will not direct the kidney to reabsorbs water and, therefore, we will lose more than we should. The body will seek hydration in other organs.
As alcohol increases, the levels of toxicity are higher, leading to alcohol poisoning, which occurs when there is approximately 0.55% or 5 grams of alcohol per liter of blood. High levels may also induce an ethyl coma, with approximately 3G / L.
What is hangover and how to avoid it
Talking about the hangover is talking about headaches, upset stomach, dehydration and wanting to drink lots of water … But all this is nothing more than the attainment of the chemical changes that occur in our organism, as we have seen.
Headaches are the cause of the inhibition of the vasopressin hormone which, as we have seen before, causes the body to become dehydrated. This loss of water causes the meninges (the membranes covering the brain) to not have enough water and make the head hurt. That is why dehydration also appears and we are so keen to drink water the next day. To keep the hangover at bay, it is good to stay hydrated continuously.
In addition, vomiting occurs because alcohol causes the gastric mucosa to erode and lose intestinal villi, which protects the intestines. That is why it is important to have a good meal before drinking alcohol.
It also causes the stomach to become irritated and irritate the gastrointestinal mucosa, which increases the pancreatic and acidic secretions of the stomach. Therefore, taking foods with high levels of fat can help to make this happen to a lesser extent.
How to Detoxify the Liver of Alcohol
Although we can avoid or try to recover from the hangover, alcohol will remain in our body until we completely expel it or become other substances. However, there are ways to cleanse the liver of alcohol and eliminate toxins and fats, as it is the organ that suffers the most.
Drink plenty of water
As we have seen, alcohol causes considerable dehydration in the body. That is why it is important to stay hydrated after consumption. You must replenish all the fluid that the liver needs to function. Also, drink plenty of water will make you go to the bathroom more often and drive them out harmful substances to the body. In this way, you are helping your body to improve performance and recover while harmful residues left by the alcohol is removed.
Foods to cleanse the liver
There are certain foods that are more cleansing and will help you clean the liver and make it work properly:
- The carrot contains large amounts of flavonoids, which help protect the body from alcohol damage. In addition, it has beta-carotene which improves liver function in general.
- Avocado is a super food because it contains many beneficial properties for the body. Among them, it helps the body produce glutathione, which is a necessary compound that helps the liver cleanse harmful toxins.
- The red fruits, meanwhile, help reduce liver disease and lower blood sugar levels, restoring the proper levels that the liver needs to function. In this way, with the liver in proper operation, you can get rid of the remains of alcohol.
- Garlic is also a good ally for liver detoxification as it is rich in sulfur components that improve liver enzyme function. In this way, they can eliminate harmful toxins. In addition, it contains substances that protect it from the harmful effects of alcohol and help its purification.
- Lemon and lime increase the production of bile in the liver, which helps eliminate toxins. In addition, it contains vitamin C in large amounts and this helps the body to synthesize the toxic substances ingested in alcohol. Take a lemon squeezed in the morning, you can mix it with water and, in this way, you will be stimulating the liver’s functioning.
Green tea is a very good option to detoxify and purify the liver due to its content in catechins, a plant antioxidant that favors liver function.
This article is purely informative, in ONE we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any kind of diagnosis. We invite you to go to a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more similar articles How to cleanse the liver of alcohol – detoxifying and cleansing plan! , We recommend you to enter our category of Diseases and side effects